Speeding in Mevo's Member Base

Speeding interventions and content design
8 week sprint project
Individual project
Mevo memberbase
Mevo is New Zealand’s leading car-sharing company with a mission to “create beautiful and more liveable cities by creating a better alternative to car ownership.” 



Speeding is dangerous for members and those they share the road with. Mevo wants to make sure its member base is operating their vehicles safely and to reduce the risks associated with excessive speeding. I was assigned with the evaluation of Mevo's current interventions for speeding within the member base.

Key Insight

Suspended members are those who have broken the terms and conditions. Any member who speeds over 150km/h is an instant suspension. Of the Suspended members in the Mevo member base, 21.4% were for severe speeding.

Of suspended members, 21.4% were for a speeding event.

13.6% of suspended members were new to Mevo (less than 5 trips).

I carried out the research, wire framing and delivery of output within an 8-week sprint project.


A series of event-based push and in app notifications.


Problem Definition

The challenge was in two parts, to evaluate the current interventions the support team (known as the Experience team) were using, and to reduce the frequency of speeding within Mevo's member base.

The Experience team manually sent in-app messages to members when they were notified of a speeding "event". Interventions were at the discretion of the team member.

Speeding was defined as:
No items found.

After some initial research, I formed the research question:

“How might we reduce the instances of speeding in our member base to ensure safety for the members and the public?”

Quantitative research

I relied heavily on quantitative research to generate user insights. Within the time and resource constraints, this was what was most accessible and effective.

From quantitative research, I found:

  • 10% of all Mevo members had a least one speeding event
  • 35% of suspended Mevo members had at least one speeding event
  • of suspended members 13.6% were suspended within their first 5 trips

No items found.


A key finding was that 35% of suspensions came from speeding. New members also made up a significant number of speeding events. This provided insight into user behaviour. From this, a constraint was set:

How can we cater our speeding notifications towards different behaviours?

Member Segments

Existing interventions were manually sent by the Experience team when they received an alert of a member speeding. They would then send a generic push notification to the member. 

Using the findings from quantitive analysis I created user segments using live trip data. This data was accessible in real-time in the user profile on Intercom and could be used to trigger automated messages.

By segmenting members we could cater the messaging more specifically by using content and delivery to deter certain behaviors on the road.


With this context, I was presented with the opportunity to generate an intervention using Intercom, the support teams' messaging software. Using member segments, I could create an automatic messaging system targeting the behaviors identified from the insights.

Content Design

Content is powerful, and it can help persuade behaviour change. The delivery method and copy were important considerations.

Aligning with Mevo's company values, the voice aimed to encourage kindness and care within the member base, a culture of mutual respect. Tone was used to target specific behaviour within each segment, and persuade behaviour change while on a trip. Each segment delivered the message in a slightly different way.

No items found.


Three outbound messages triggered by different events.

As a member of the experience team, I work closely with the members in my day-to-day work. It was exciting to be able to observe the speed alert system out in the member base.

After 3 months I was able to conduct a review.
8.7% decrease in speeding across all Mevo members once they have received a notification.


I worked closely with the Head of the Experience team, Tian. As a science major, he offered structure. I met with him once a week to update him on my findings and process. We complemented each other's lines of inquiry, and he allowed me the scope to do design research.

I collaborated with the Product designer Nina during the content design of the messages. She provided the style guides which ensured continuity and collaborated on defining the tone of each message.

No items found.


Working solo was challenging and rewarding but ultimately I believe the best design happens in collaboration. I enjoyed the freedom to carry out this project on my own terms, which allowed me to stretch out the discovery phase. I found I felt most competent in the research and concept phase and would prefer to come together as a team to execute a concept.

I called upon the help of the Product designer during the content design, but overall I wished for closer collaboration with the Product team.

I had the opportunity in this sprint project to carry out all of the work and launch it in the product. While nerve-racking, it gave me a lot of satisfaction and confidence in my capabilities to execute a project from start to finish. It also meant that I went through many critiques of the system with the HOE before launching. I learnt the balance of critical thinking and knowing when a project is good enough to launch.